Hospitality can’t be learnt with some tips and tricks. But of course they exist! I’ll share mine!
- When somebody cries: give him or her without asking a glass of water. For the simple reason that when you drink you’re not able to cry. Besides it removes the helpless feeling of the other guests. A crying kid can be get silent with a lolly.
- Take always good care for elderly and children. When they are happy everybody is happy
- Where people shake hands (weddings, condolences) : place a jug of water (and glasses of course) and little (wet) towels to clean the hands..
- Give artists always water and glasses. They appreciate it a lot
- Walking with the guests to show the way to for example the toilet is very kind. You’re not working in the supermarket!
- If you bring empty glasses (for e.g. beer) turn them upside down on your tray to exit the little bit of water in the glasses.
- When people order mineral water, ask if they want ice in it or serve it separate. Never in the glasses (you don’t mix pure water with tap-water)
- Reading a lot of reviews on the internet and magazines.
- The etiquette dictates the rules, the situation the exceptions
- Even saying the word welcome make the guest feeling at ease
(Foto by Swamibu / CC BY NC 2.0)